Sister Linda K. Burton, General Relief Society President, gave a wonderful talk last Sunday at the CES Fireside on ways that we can grow closer to God. I really enjoyed it. You can read it here: https://www.lds.org/church/news/sister-burton-shares-nine-ways-to-draw-closer-to-god?lang=eng, or watch it here: https://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/ces-devotionals/2014/03?lang=eng .
Here is a brief summary of what she talked about:
1. Sincerely and humbly pray.
2. Act promptly on spiritual impressions.
3. Search the scriptures daily.
4. Live the law of the fast.
5. Be worthy and worship in the temple.
6. "Trifle not with sacred things."
7. Be prepared to move forward with faith.
8. Let the Lord decide the details of what He chooses to reveal and when He chooses to reveal it.
9. Heed prophetic warnings.
“It is my deepest desire that we will increase in our ability to hear and understand the promptings of the Spirit and act on the promptings that we get from the Holy Ghost.” —Linda K. Burton, Relief Society general president