"Choose you this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Growing up Duggar -Book Review


I really enjoyed reading the Duggar girls' book, Growing Up Duggar.  I really admire many things about their family and the standards they uphold.  Although it was written to a younger audience, as a parent, I really enjoyed learning the things that they do and believe about dating, courtship, and marriage.  I think one of the best things is that they purposely don't date at a young age, but rather spend that tine to develop their relationship with Heavenly Father and spend time in service to Him.  I think that is very wise.

There is also a list of things that are unchangeable for us, that are the way God intended it to be for us, such as what family we are in, our nationality, when we are born and when we die, etc.

I also like the lists of things that the parents talk to children about in their interviews, the list of things to look for in a spouse, both in male and female.

I like what they said about the 4 points of obedience:
1. Instant
2. Cheerful
3.Thorough
4. Unconditional

Jim Bob and Michelle have a motto of "Praise in Public, Correct in Private".  That is a really good one:)

They also have ideas for remaining pure, choosing creativity, learning, and building, over being entertained, our Life Skill Toolbox, our Heart Conditions (murmering heart, pure heart, humble heart) that are described in the Bible, and the choice we make in challenges, to be BITTER OR BETTER.

It was a really great book, I love what I learned from it, and I would recommend it to anyone for a great thought provoking and inspirational read.

No comments: