"Choose you this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Gardening and Starting Hydroponics

After many years of wishing, I finally decided to try hydroponics.  I don't know much about it, so it will be a trial and error process, for sure.  I am starting with one bucket.  I washed the dirt off the roots of the plants and placed them in the hydroponic rocks.  The is a little pump in the bottom that aerates the water, and I added nutrients to the water.  The ph of our water is about 7.5.  I think it's supposed to be around 5.5-6.  We will see how it goes.  The other plants are still alive, for the most part.  I had to take a couple of containers out because I couldn't keep the aphids down.  The ladybugs didn't help like I had hoped.  But, we have some peppers for fajitas, a little lettuce, and a few mouth watering, fresh tomatoes that taste like tomatoes instead of cardboard.  The Gerber Daisies are still blooming and I am saving the seeds for spring.  The geraniums are blooming away and I am hoping to take cuttings and propagate them in the next couple of months.   It only takes a few minutes a day, and I like being able to do a little gardening in the winter.




1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm so excited to hear how your project goes. I've often wondered if it would work for me--both the hydroponics and the year-round gardening. Good luck!