"Choose you this day whom ye will serve, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Cabbages and lettuce are beautiful, too!


These are cuttings taken from a friend's garden and put in moist soil with rooting hormone. Jane helped me cut some bark off the twigs so they would have more space to grow roots. I was surprised when I saw them one day and there were little blossoms on the lilacs. I have since moved them outside and have yet to see if they will actually grow into plants.




I tried something new this year. I planted these cabbages and lettuces in February or March. I got some old wire hangers, cut off the hook part and bent the rest into a "u" shape. I put these over the plants I wanted to protect, and then covered the bed with plastic. In this way, the plastic didn't smash the plants, but was still able to keep them warm and cozy. It seemed to work good-the plants are doing really well (except for the basil, it was not cold-hardy enough to survive it's first frost).

1 comment:

Montserrat said...

I'm jealous of your lettuce! We've tried the plastic but it is so darn windy here that no matter how well we think it's anchored down it blows away. Hurray for snow in May {said sarcastically}!